Music and Family

 For this blog I chose to interview my mother. The main reason I chose to interview her is because she loves playing the music she listened to growing up. I’ve also grown to enjoy the throwbacks she plays.  She was born in 1973, so she is a big 80’s music fan. I sat down and asked her some questions about her musical experience, and here is what I learned…


Q: What role did music play during your childhood?


A: “Music was a huge part of my childhood. Even though no one in my family was really musically inclined there was always music playing throughout the house. I would always wake up to Roy Orbison on Sunday cleaning days. The one song I remember the most by him is “Ooby Dooby.” My mom would always play the radio while cooking, so music was prominent throughout my childhood.” 


Q:Who was your favorite artist when you were a kid? 


A: “I had three favorite artist that I listened to all the time. They were Micheal Jackson, Prince, Rick Springfield. I had all of their CD’s and I listened to them on my Sony Walkman. I even had their posters all around my room, but Rick Springfield was my favorite because he was a very good looking man. “Jessie’s Girl” was a popular song by him. 




Q:What was your favorite genre/style of music when you were a kid?

A: My favorite type of music was probably 80’s pop. I’m for sure a die hard 80’s girl to this day. It’s my go to when I’m cleaning or cooking kind of like how my mom was. Whitney Houston, Prince, Madonna, Lionel Richie, Bon Jovi, Micheal Jackson, and Rick Springfield are some of the greatest I can name of the top of my head. I grew up and was a teenager in the 80’s, so I have some pretty fond memories with big hair and good music.”


Q:What kind of music did your parents listen to? Did you like? 


A: “My dad listened mainly to 50’s and 60’s and I couldn’t stand it. He played it all the time and I just couldn’t get on board with it for some reason. Now my mom had good taste. Her favorite artists was James Taylor and Carly Simon. She loved the song “You’re So Vain” and now it is still one of my personal favorites. I know I said I didn’t like my dads taste in music, but I did like the song “Earth Angel” by the Penguins.”





Q:Did you go to any live concerts? What were they like? 


A: I didn’t go to my first concert until college, and I went to see Jimmy Buffet. I wasn’t a crazy country music fan until I met your dad, but it was a cool experience. I don’t think it was as big as the concerts you go to today, but people enjoyed the moment because we didn’t have cellphones to record memories. 


I really enjoyed learning about my mothers musical experience because her music has shaped my taste in music as well. I will occasionally listen to a good 80’s tune, and I am a huge fan of Michael Jackson. My families musical experience has definitely effected my experience with music. 





Comments

  1. I love your mom's music picks. I love "You're So Vain" its so fun to sing along to. The 80s seem so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom also mentioned during our interview that a lot of her music taste came from the stuff her parents would play while cleaning the house on Sunday mornings! My mom didn’t go to any concerts as a teen though so it was interesting to hear your mom talk about how concerts back then were different from concerts today, not only because of the presence of more technology now but also because it sounds like the concerts then were smaller and more intimate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it's cool how music has played a part and our parents upbringing. I also love how your mom has a different vibe from what I would usually be used to but I enjoyed listening to her taste of music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom was born in 1974, so she is in the same boat as your mom! She also talked about how her music was somewhat influenced by what her parents listened to. She said on Saturdays, her dad would put on a Toto record and that's when she knew to get out of bed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading this blog and listening to your mom’s favorite artist during her childhood. She chose some great artists during the 80’s such as Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson which are some of my favorite artists of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really loved your interview with your mom. I am definitely in love with the 80s culture and the music. Like your mom, I also listen to Michael Jackson, Bon Jovi, Whitney Houston and other 80s artists. She seems really fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading your interview with you mom. I really like 80’s music and some of the artists she mentioned. It was interesting to hear about her perspective of concerts. It puts life into perspective when she said people back then enjoyed the moment more than people today because of our cellphones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WoW. How similar alot of the older generation is. My interviewee also mentioned that their music taste was influenced by that of their parents choices. I believe, even with us growing up, that we chose music that we were mostly surrounded by. Thanks for this interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment