My Musical Culture


     Hi everyone my name is Colbie Perry, and I’m a freshman here at Converse University. I’m from North Carolina, and I’m on the Converse women’s basketball team. I love listening to all kinds of music. My Spotify playlist is filled with all different genres and artist. I’m not very musically inclined to play instruments, but I did play the recorder in elementary school if that counts. 


  1. My current go-to:

    My Spotify playlist is currently full of anything by Taylor Swift. She has always been my go-to artist no matter what. I have a playlist called “My Fav Tay” and it is almost eight hours long because literally every Taylor Swift belongs in that playlist. I feel like the reason she is my go-to is because she has music in different genres, and there is almost always a song for how you are feeling. She is a lyrical genius, and never fails to write a good song. I have many favorite Taylor Swift songs, but I currently have her song “Sad Beautiful Tragic” on repeat. This song is on her album called “Red” that was released in 2012, but since then she has re-recorded that album so I listen to the most recent version. 


2. Example of music that is important to me:


    Music that is significant to me is definitely country music. Country is all I listened to growing up because my dad is a huge country music fan. I listen to todays country, but I was raised on Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, and George Strait. I’m more of an older country type of girl because of my dad. I vividly remember riding around in my dads truck with the windows down listening to those artist. One song that has stuck with me is “Mama Tried” by Merle Haggard. I used to perform that song to my mom because I thought I related to the lyrics when I definitely did not at all! Country music is probably one of my favorite genres of music and it takes me back to my childhood.


3. An example of music I don’t really connect with 


    This is hard for me because I like all kinds of music, but I’m going to have to go with the song Thunderstruck by AC/DC. They constantly play this song at sporting events and I just can’t get behind it. I’m not really into rock music, but I do like some songs in that category. Rock and heavy metal is just not my personal preference in music. 




Comments

  1. I love Taylor Swift and included her in my blog post too. Red (Taylor's Version) has been on repeat since it came out. My favorite from that would probably be "State of Grace" or "Run." I'm very excited to see which re-recording she releases next. My Grandpa loved Merle Haggard and others you listed. I have a similar memory of first hearing those songs in his truck. I don't listen to a lot of country, but like you said when I hear the older songs I'm taken back to my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally don't listen to Taylor Swift's pieces, but when I listened to "Sad Beautiful Tragic", I couldn't help but to admire it, from the softness of the beat, to the beauty of her voice and guitar she played. I also am one who has very much been influenced by my father's music preferences. My dad is also a fan of country, which I find interesting because my dad isn't even from America, but because of him, a good portion of my playlist is filled with great country songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Colbie! Taylor Swift is an amazing artist and has a beautiful voice. Country is one of my favorite genes. I enjoy her old album more though. Two of my favorite songs by her are "Love Story" and "You Belong to Me".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment