Indigenous American and Africa

1. As I was looking back through the Indigenous America content I couldn’t help but to rewatch the Powwow videos. When I was looking back the first thing that caught my eye were the outfits they wore. I love bright colors and clothes, so I wanted to learn more about the way they dress for Powwows. After doing so research I found out that a dancer’s powwow outfit reflect their lives, interest and family backgrounds. The bright colors are a sign of power and pride because it represents community tradition and personal taste. I love how what they wear represents them and their culture, so everyone has a personalized outfit. I interested a video of a girl getting ready for a powwow and she explains her outfit which I found really cool. 

Ben Calf Robe Powwow 2014, love the colors, so pretty! | Native american  jingle dress, Native american dress, Native american clothing


2.  I rewatched the the creek stomp video and I was kind of confused on exactly what ceremony was for, so I did some research. Stomp dances are a form of dance to celebrate their culture. It is a dance that can be celebrated both socially and religiously. Stomp dances are mainly performed at festivals and big gatherings. The dance takes place in a circle formation and the dancers stomp to the rhythm moving around in a circle. Sometimes their are certain places people have to stand within the circle, but that can differ through communities. I found the elements of the stomp dance extremely interesting.



3. Of course for the Africa content I’m going to talk about the Ghana postal workers. We watched that video on one of our first days of class this semester. It has stuck with me this whole time because it is extremely catchy, and it also reminds me of the song “Whistle While You Work” from Snow White, which was my favorite Disney princess as a kid. I did some research on Ghana and it is popular to sing while you work to pass the time. I found out that fishing is a big deal in Ghana because there are a lot of videos of singing fisherman. It is interesting that some places make their own music while they work, but when I’m doing homework I put in my AirPods and shuffle my Spotify playlist. 



Sources:

“American Indian Powwows: Multiplicity and Authenticity - Regalia.” Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage, https://folklife.si.edu/online-exhibitions/american-indian-powwows/regalia/smithsonian. 

“Singing Fishermen of Ghana.” Folkstreams, https://www.folkstreams.net/films/singing-fishermen-of-ghana. 

“The Stomp Dance.” NORTHERN CHEROKEE NATION, http://www.northerncherokeenation.com/the-stomp-dance.html. 

Comments

  1. Great Blog! I enjoyed reading it. I have never heard of powwows so I was glad that you talked about it. I love how they wear their colorful clothing to express themselves but also keep it in the tradition. The video you provided was great, her outfit caught my attention because of how colorful it was

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed watching the video about singing fisherman. I think it's cool how it's actually more common for these cultures to make music when they work, verses from people that just listen to it to pass the time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment